The Ciocana branch of the Chisinau City Court on May 22 issued a warrant for the arrest of Vlad Plahotniuc for a 30-day period in the absence of this, IPN reports.
Earlier, the Prosecutor’s Office for Organized Crime and Special Cases said the indictment based on three counts was issued on May 18. After the indictment ordinance was made, Vladimir Plahotniuc was issued with a summons at his domicile address. The summons wasn’t served. He is reportedly outside the country.
In a press release issued on May 22, the Prosecutor’s Office for Organized Crime and Special Cases noted that if the arrest warrant is challenged in the Chisinau City Appeals Court and the court upholds the decision, there will be considered the opportunity of putting Vlad Plahotniuc on the international most wanted list.
Earlier this week, Prosecutor General Alexandr Stoianoglo said Vladimir Plahotniuc was one of the main beneficiaries of the bank fraud. Plahotniuc was charged on three counts: founding of a criminal organization; swindle and money laundering, both in very large amounts. Immediately after the indictment is translated into English, it will be transmitted to the component authorities in the U.S. with the request to extradite him to Moldova so that he could be held accountable.