The number of applications submitted to the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) against the Republic of Moldova has decreased. The figure declined by about 10% a year during 2011-2017. The governmental agent to the ECHR Oleg Rotari, in the hearings staged by the Parliament’s legal commission, said that over 1,000 applications were filed in 2016 and 700 by October 1 this year, IPN reports.
More than 15,000 applications from Moldovans have reached the ECHR so far. 95% were declared inadmissible. This year the ECHR has pronounced 13 conviction judgments, seven of which refer to Transnistrians. One more judgment could be passed by this yearend, stated the governmental agent.
Oleg Rotari noted that Russia was found guilty of violations against Moldovan citizens who are held in jails on the left side of the Nistru.
The poor detention conditions or, more exactly, the crowdedness in penitentiaries, remain the biggest problem of the Republic of Moldova. Each detainee should enjoy at least 4 square meters. This right is not yet respected in jails in Moldova. Moreover, one quarter of the convictions against Moldova are namely because of the detention conditions.
In this connection, the governmental agent said the ECHR’s recommendation is to ‘decriminalize’ the Penal Code so that the privative measures are replaced with non-privative ones where it is possible, while the remand detention is replaced with home arrest or judicial control.