Constantin Borosan: Electricity consumption fell by 15% on corresponding period last year

As long as Ukrainian energy infrastructure is the target of military attacks, widespread power outages in Moldova can repeat, said secretary of state of the Ministry of Infrastructure and Regional Development Constantin Borosan. According to him, Moldova currently purchases 80% of the necessary electricity from Romania, while the rest of power is produced on the right side of the Nistru, IPN report.

Constantin Borosan explained that Wednesday’s blackouts were due to the massive shelling of Ukrainian energy infrastructure and similar energy crisis are yet possible.

“The power outages are due to the bombardments in Ukraine and Russia’s attacks on electrical energy infrastructure – power plants and power lines. When a network element malfunctions, another network element is overloaded. The shelling led to the overloading of particular power lines that connect our country to Ukraine and Romania. This is how the networks are protected. They are turned down so as to resist and not to be destroyed owing to overloading. This enables to restore the power supply when balance in the energy system is ensured. As long as Ukraine’s infrastructure is under military attacks, power outages can repeat,” Constantin Borosan stated in the program “Reflection Points” on Vocea Basarabiei station.

According to the secretary of state, Energocom buys the largest amount of electricity needed by Moldova from Romania. Earlier, Deputy Prime Minister Andrei Spînu said the average purchase price of electricity is €180 per MW/h.

“We are making effort on all dimensions so as to access alternative sources of energy. We could store natural gas, but cannot store electricity. Starting with October 14, we have purchased power from Romania. The citizens have lent a hand. This October, energy consumption was by 15% lower than last October. We now purchase 80% of the necessary power from Romania. The other 20% of power is generated by our country, by the right bank of the Nistru – by CET Nord, Termoelectrica, Costești hydropower plant and from renewable, wind and solar power sources,” noted the official.

Immediately after the  Moldovan electricity supply system failed on November 23,  Deputy Prime Minister Andrei Spînu discussed the extensive blackouts in Moldova and Ukraine with European Commissioner for Energy Kadri Simson, Minister of Energy of Romania Virgil Popescu and Minister of Energy of Ukraine German Galushchenko. The officials expressed reciprocal solidarity, accusing Russia of waging an illegal and unjust war.

Вы используете модуль ADS Blocker .
IPN поддерживается от рекламы.
Поддержи свободную прессу!
Некоторые функции могут быть заблокированы, отключите модуль ADS Blocker .
Спасибо за понимание!
Команда IPN.